Thursday, November 18, 2010

Dear Utah,

Hello. It's me again. I have something that I would like to bring to your attention.
A few days ago my roommate and I went to the Public Library. She found a book that she wanted to check out. Filling out the form to apply for a library card was quick and easy. But when it came time to check out the book, we ran into some difficulties. Apparently proof of residency is needed to receive a public library card. Here is the list they gave us of things they will accept as proof of residency:
- current driver's license
- current utility bill
- current car registration
- current checking account statement (not checkbook)
- current rental receipt/agreement
Because these are all things that we carry around with us in our purses everywhere we go. We're students for heavens sake - not all of us switch our driver's licenses when we go to school. We had to drive home, find acceptable proof of residency, and drive back to the library. Something that should have taken just a few minutes turned into lots of driving and wasted time.
Should it really matter to you where we live if we want a library card?
Just another reason why you make living here so pleasant and un-annoying.
Thank you for making our day.
You drive me nuts.
Sincerely,
RACH
a Washingtonian for LIFE

3 comments:

  1. We had the same experience when we moved downtown! It took us forever to get a card...dumb library. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "Dear Utah" posts! But not as much as I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! I love the "Dear Utah" posts! What a fabulous theme!!

    ReplyDelete