Sunday, November 7, 2010

Oh THAT'S why I never do this....

Yesterday I was reminded why I never go hiking...

My friends and I were trying to decide what we should do on a Saturday. Somehow 'hiking the Y' was suggested and we all thought it was a great idea. We had heard that this wasn't a 'bad' hike. Whatever that means.

I thought to myself, I wonder why I don't do this more often? I love being outside and I love being active. Why don't I hike more?

This is why:

I am always last. Don't ask me why, I've always been an active person my whole life but whenever I go hiking I am always last. Everyone is super fast and bolts it up the mountain while I slowly make my way up. So everyone goes up a ways and then they stop and rest and 'wait' for me. By the time I catch up, everyone is done resting and charge up the next section. But I'm still tired and didn't get to rest so I stand around by myself and rest up for the next section. It's a cycle that doesn't end until the hike is over.

This is how our hiking adventure went:


These are pictures we took BEFORE the hike began...notice how happy we look

The hike began just as every hike begins for me. My friends bolted it up each switch back while I struggled my way up. They did 'wait' for me most of the time. A few times I suggested that we take pictures to ensure that I would have more resting time.

"I'm king of the rock"


Whoever said hiking the Y wasn't a 'bad hike'...I want to hit you. It was SO steep! I almost died!

Fortunately I didn't die and we ALL made it to the top! We also took like a million pictures to prove that we made it:

(notice how lovely my hair looks hahaha)












Someone ate grapes up here...






Once we made it to the top it was fun and coming down wasn't bad, although our muscles would beg to differ.



I am reminded of a Jack Handey quote: It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.

I probably won't go hiking ANY time soon. But I spent the day with my friends making memories.

Someday I will look back at this experience and laugh about how slow I was walking...and then I'll probably forget why it is that I never go hiking. And then I'll go....and be reminded AGAIN why I don't...

4 comments:

  1. yeah - whose idea what that?! haha . . . but at least you can say that you did it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA HA!! I still, to this day, have not hiked the Y. I'm extremely impressed Doty. Really. :) And Keri... I like "what that?" much better. It made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you my girl! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete