Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I need to get a life...

Sometime after 3am Tuesday morning, Keri and I finally decided to get some sleep (love you Keri!!).
10am my alarm goes off
10:45am I call my store hoping that they won't need me till 1:30: Do you need me at noon?
Of course they do.
Not 10 minutes later I get a text from the new kid at work: Hey Doty, could you still cover my shift today?
This would involve me staying till the store closes. Sure why not? I can totally handle a 10 hour day.
After telling the new kid that I can cover his shift and not to worry about it, I remember that I am already pushing 40 hours this week with floorset...and that's BEFORE you add the extra hours of me taking his shift. Poop. Now what do I do?
10-15 minutes later the doorbell rings. I answer with my hair half straightened, wearing the shirt I planned to wear to work and basketball shorts. I open the door to see a man standing there. "I'm here to clean your carpet." He sees the confused look on my face. "She didn't tell you?"
Of course she didn't.
Seriously? I have to leave for work in like 15 minutes. I'm half dressed and my hair is halfway finished. AND I have to figure out what to do about getting this kids shift covered. But am I going to say NO to my carpet getting professionally cleaned?
HECK NO!
He tells me just to get my personal items off the ground and he would take care of the rest. So I frantically pile all my stuff that was on the floor onto my bed so this man can clean my carpet.
I rush to finish getting ready for work and book it out the door. On my way out he hollers: "Do you want me to the lock the door behind me?" YES PLEASE!
Work. What do I do? I can't be at 40 hours - they need my help at floorset! Manager calls new kid - Sorry new kid, you HAVE to come in today.
Yay for me! No 10 hour shift!
Other manager comes in. He sees everything that needs to get done TODAY. Panics. Doty can you stay and close tonight? PLEASE I need you!
Can't. Pushing 40 hours.
Paniced manager rearranges my schedule so I can stay and close.
9 1/2 hours later...
I finally make it back to my apartment sometime after 10pm. I open the door to see my big couch and the coffee table in the kitchen blocking the refridgerator. I forgot the carpet got cleaned this morning.
The carpet is still wet. The couch and coffee table are still in the kitchen.
I'm too tired to care.
It's now after midnight. I'm still not in bed.

I need to get a life.

2 comments:

  1. Sweetheart...you have a life...this is it. (LOL) Enjoy every minute of it, because someday you'll be cleaning up vomit at 3 am and wishing for a 40 hour week! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or... someday you will be worrying about teenage boys... wondering where they are, who are they with, what are they doing. Enjoy this time of your life while you have it. It won't last forever. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete