Thursday, October 21, 2010

"Bluebird"


I love this song by Sara Bareilles. The video on youtube is stupid - but there isn't a music video for it yet.

I want you to listen to this song as you read this post...

Have you ever missed something? You're just going through your day and all of the sudden you miss something? You miss a past experience, people, places, etc?

That happened to me today.

I was driving home from work and listening to this song. And out of the blue, I missed playing the piano - more specifically - I missed singing and playing the piano.

I missed those times when I was home alone - no one else there (well, the dog was there). Anyway on those rare occasions that I was home alone, I would sit down at the piano and I would just play. Sometimes I would sing as I played. Since I was home alone, I could sing as loud as I wanted and however I wanted to.

Playing the piano is the one thing I can do without needing my brain. I don't have to think. Those are the times when my mind is just...there. I don't have to worry about my life. In those moments, everything is right in the world. It's just me - no thoughts, nothing - just me playing the piano.

I suppose I missed this today as I was listening to this song because this is a song that I would play if I had a piano and the sheet music. And if I was home alone, I would sing as I played it. And my mind wouldn't be constantly thinking or worried. Everything would be right in the world for a few moments.

"Ready to fly. You and I. Here we go..."

2 comments:

  1. I'm making a list of all the things you miss and would find back home in Washington! Rain....Gramper....drive-through Starbucks....family....a piano....shall I keep on going?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I read this today! I was just sitting here, and all of a sudden Phantom of the Opera popped into my head and all I could think of was you! I remember sitting with you at the piano and just listening to you play and sing along to Phantom and all sorts of other pieces! I just loved getting to spend that time with you!!

    ReplyDelete