Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Gramper...

It is my Gramper's birthday tomorrow.

He is the best grandpa in the whole world.

Gramper joined the Church when he was still in high school. He was the only member in his family. After high school my Gramper served a full-time mission. He married my Gramma after he came home and they raised an amazing family together!

Gramper started his own computer software company, ButtonWare, where I then joined the picture and was the company mascot ;) - just kidding. (But seriously I was in the company picture.)

Gramper's beard scared me. But then again, I was also afraid of Santa...

When I was little my grandparents lived on a island just outside of Seattle. Gramper would take us down to the water were we would throw rocks. He would always find little crabs under the rocks. I was too scared to hold them but Gramper was not scared so he would hold the little crabs while I looked at them. We always named them Sebastian.

I've been able to quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail since I could talk. That's because Gramper had sound clips from that movie on his laptop and would play them all the time.

He also had a fart machine. Gramma took it away.

Gramper has had 3 cars that I can remember: Wildfire, the blue jeep - Desert Storm, the green jeep - and the white car he has now. I don't know it's name.

My Gramper knows more about computers than anyone I know. He is the gadget man.

Gramper also loves to take pictures. So do I.

My Gramper loves me. He wrote me almost every day in the MTC. He would pick movie quotes from our three movies (Monty Paython, The Three Amigos, Rustler's Rapsidy) and then put them through an English to German translator and send me the quotes in German. He also emailed me frequently while I was in Germany.

Gramper loves German like I do. His grandparents are from Germany. They spoke German to him as a child. I served my mission where he wanted to serve. Gramper is also famous in Germany: Jim Knopf is a character in a children's book series.

Gramper is a great example. He and Gramma served a mission together in the Navuoo Temple. They've served in the Seattle Temple for as long as I can remember.

Gramper is a great friend. For Adam, Gramper was his sidekick when Adam thought he was a cowboy. For David, Gramper was his best friend and teacher when Dave was home schooled. For my dad, Gramper was his partner in ridding the world of evil playing computer games.

For me, my Gramper is the best grandpa I could have ever asked for. I feel so blessed and grateful that Heavenly Father has let him stay here, so that he can be apart of my life!

Alles gute zum Geburtstag Gramper!

Ich liebe dich!

5 comments:

  1. Ich liebe dich auch! Thanks for a most wonderful birthday present, Rach. If only we could still keep you in a cardboard box, like at ButtonWare. I'll be thinking of you all day Wednesday. x0x0x0 xxx
    -Gramper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Es ist mein glücklichste Geburtstag immer. Dank Sie Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great tribute to a good man! How lucky are we to have YOU for our grand daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to an amazing man! Thank you sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete