Monday, May 17, 2010

Things don't have to be PERFECT

Sunday was just one of those days I wish I had never gotten out of bed. Which is strange because I had actually been looking forward to this day. I was going to play the piano in sacrament meeting (which I enjoy doing), play the piano for ward choir (which I had never done before), and was having a dessert night at my place with mission friends. This was going to be a great day...
It all started that morning when I prayed and asked Heavenly Father to help me throughout the day. Like, to help me play well in sacrament meeting and for choir. Also, that the desserts would turn out just right.
Have you ever prayed for something like patience or charity? And then you feel like right away you are placed in situations where your patience is tried or you have to deal with a difficult person? You feel like instead of being blessed with patience, your patience is being tried. Or you prayed for charity and then you feel like you have to deal with all the stupid people.
I had prayed that I would play well in sacrament meeting. I've been playing hymns for years and I don't have a problem playing in front of people. Well, you wouldn't have known that I had ever played any of those hymns before. I kept messing up! I couldn't figure out what my problem was! I knew that if I played so bad in sacrament meeting that choir wasn't going to be any better. I was right. It was worse.
I had also prayed that the desserts would turn out right...it was like all my baking skills had been thrown out the window! Nothing turned out right!

I attempted to bake what my cookbook calls: Tarte Tatin. I called my version: Apple Soup because it did not turn out at all like the picture in the book.
Since that failed I decided to make apple crisp as a backup. I didn't have all the ingredients so I made a few adjustments...

That most definitely did not turn out right.
SO in an attempt to fix both baking disasters I decided to bake blueberry turnovers. I didn't have enough dough so I improvised...

Another disaster.
After a while I started thinking to myself...it would be OK if everyone forgot that it was today and didn't show up...
7pm rolls around and no one is there.
7:30 - people finally start showing up. Then David walks in with ice cream (he was on VANILLA ice cream duty). "Hey so I didn't have vanilla ice cream but I have this: (shows me a carton of cookie dough ice cream). I hope that's okay." I then told him about all the disasters of the day. He laughed and said "oh, well then this is perfect then isn't it?"
It ended up being alright. The world didn't end because my desserts didn't turn out right or because we didn't have vanilla ice cream. No one came up to me after church to tell me that my piano playing sucked and no one left choir because I couldn't play the song.

Sometimes I forget that things don't have to be "perfect".

3 comments:

  1. Most days aren't perfect! It's important to note the days that are 'close' to perfection. You certainly had enough to food to feed everyone and once it's in the stomach who cares! -Hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the desserts tasted wonderful! Who cares what they look like...

    ReplyDelete